Paintings and Fine Art
Specialist: Collections. Old Master, Early British Paintings and Drawings
Rohan joined the Fine Art department from St George Valuations where he was Head of Valuations. After starting his career at Bonham’s and Sotheby’s Rohan became a private dealer before St George's where he made notable discoveries including works by artist such as Sir Thomas Lawrence, John Bettes the Younger, Steven van Muelen, Sir Joshua Reynolds, George Romney, William Etty and Francesco Fracanzano, amongst others.
Specialist: 15th – 20th Century Oils and Prints
Jan trained in Drawing, Painting and Film at Edinburgh College of Art (B.A. Hons). A proven and meticulous picture researcher with numerous notable successes including works by Meidner, Gainsborough and Ribera, Jan is also a multi-award winning film director and editor. In 2006 he directed ‘Who Painted the Skating Minister’ for BBC television which settled the attribution of one of Britain's most admired works in firm favour of Sir Henry Raeburn R.A.
Specialist: Watercolours, Drawings and Portrait Miniatures
Suzanne is an established fine art expert with over 20 years’ experience in the international art market. Formerly Head of Watercolours at Phillips Auctioneers in New Bond Street, and latterly as an independent fine art consultant. Suzanne specialises in British and Continental Drawings, Watercolours, Original Book Illustrations and Portrait Miniatures.
The next auction of Fine Art will take place Tuesday, 13th June.
Entries are now invited. For a complimentary and confidential valuation, please contact Jan, Rohan or Suzanne.
Our June auction will be accompanied by a full-colour printed catalogue.
Consignments for this sale will close on May 10th.
We are known for offering rarely seen and privately owned individual works and collections from the 15th Century to the Mid-20th Century.
Since its inception, the Fine Art Department has achieved notable international results, including;
- the recent sale of a magnificent oil on panel attributed to Andrea Del Sarto
- the sale of a collection of 52 drawings by Augustus John RA on behalf of Dame Elizabeth Taylor
- the discovery of an important lost work by the German Expressionist Ludwig Meidner
There were many recently discovered rare and interesting works of note offered in the June sale, including;
- Percy William Gibbs (British; 1894-1937), oil on canvas, circa 1930, unframed
- Alfred Sisley (British; 1839-1899), caran d’ache and graphite drawing
- Edgar Degas (French; 1834-1917), a silverpoint pencil portrait, with ‘Atelier Ed. Degas’ secession stamp in red, lower right
- Federico de Madrazo y Kuntz (Spanish; 1815-1894), oil on canvas, signed middle right and dated 1891
- Circle of William Charles Ross (British; 1794-1860), a very fine watercolour portrait of a young woman
- Walter Spies (German; 1895-1942) oil and lacquer with brushed gold, on a lacquered panel. Monogrammed ‘W. S.’ lower left
- Ernst Ludwig Kirchner (German; 1880-1938), woodblock print, first state, 1905, proof
- Circle of Pieter Snyers (Flemish; 1681-1752), oil on panel, in a veneered and ebonised frame with gilt slip
Every week we offer in the room considered works in good order to suit many tastes and budgets. From oils to watercolours, from works on canvas to works on paper, panel, copper and tin. From limited edition etchings, to drawings, bronzes and sculptures. In our Fine Sales, we offer more notable and important lots to our local, national and international customers.