A SMALL MID 19TH CENTURY BRASS WALL CLOCK BY EDWARD JOHN DENT, LONDON, CIRCA 1845, WITH TRAVELLING CASE
the clock in a brass, turned and patinated case, closed by a front door with a latch activated by a small button on the left side, a larger loop on top for hanging, a smaller loop at the bottom for setting straight, the painted dial with Roman numerals, and signature ‘DENT LONDON’, with three blued steel hands and subsidiary seconds dial, the single train movement with vertical rectangular plates and four turned pillars, with a horizontal crab-tooth escapement platform and very finely cut ratchet wheel, of eight days duration, with unusual transport box with its own latch and key, it can also be suspended and has an inner wooden latch for securing the clock inside,
the clock 18cm diameter, the travelling case 23cm high
In working order but not fully tested or guaranteed.
Edward John Dent was born in 1790 and was apprenticed by his grandfather. He was soon employed by well known and prestigious firms including Vuillamy, Barraud and McCabe until 1929. He went into partnership with John Roger Arnold in 1830 and was admitted to the Clockmaker’s Company and given the Freedom of the City of London in 1831. By 1840 he was in business by himself, and he gained the contract in 1844 to supply the clock later known as ‘Big Ben’ (although this name actually refers to the bell rather than the clock).