A RARE SAXON ENGRAVED ROYAL ARMORIAL GLASS GOBLET, circa 1720-30, the campana shaped bowl decorated with the coats of arms of Palatinate-Neuburg beneath a crown for Charles III Philip, Elector Palatine, above two lions on a strapwork bracket, the reverse with two birds pecking at flowers, the sides with garlands of fruit and flowers, all within elaborate strap and scrollwork borders, the stem with a faceted knop enclosing ruby twists, on a later circular glass foot, 19.9cm high
FOOTNOTES: Charles III Philip (1661-1742) was a ruler from the house of Wittelsbach. He was Elector Palatine, Count of Palatinate-Neuburg, and Duke of Jülich and Berg from 1716 to 1742. He was also Count of Megen until 1728. Upon his death in December 1742, the Palatinate-Neuburg line died out.